Sukanta Academy for Science, Arts & Culture
In order to achieve the objectives of promoting Science, Arts & Culture through the active involvement of the children in Science, Arts & Culture, the Government of Tripura took a decision to develop a centre named Sukanta Academy with necessary infrastructure in Children’s Park of Agartala. The foundation stone of the said was laid down by Sri Nripen Chakroborty, the then Chief Minister of Tripura in the year 1986. But, in midway of civil construction, the works were stopped and virtually it turned to a abandoned one. At the end of 1996 under the management of Tripura State Council for Science & Technology, the works were restarted and on February 28, 1997, it started journey through formal inauguration with following components-
- Science Gallery with model exhibits procured from NCSM.
- Fun Science Gallery with models & exhibits procured from NCSM.
- ISRO gallery with model exhibits provided by ISRO.
- Railway Gallery with model exhibits provided Ministry of Railways.
- Forest Gallery with models & exhibits provided by Department of Forest, Government of Tripura.
- Aquarium. Portable Planetarium.
With the passage of time following components has also been added till March 2007.
- Pet Corner.
- Energy Park.
- Sky watching facility with GPS telescope.
- Open yard Science Park (with 28 outdoor exhibits including Busts of 8 Indian Scientists).
Journey to Sun via Mars:
A space craft simulator has been installed in the Sukanta Academy, which is the first one of its type in the North Eastern sector. To inculcate the spirit of enquiry among the students regarding space science, the project “Journey to Sun via Mars” has been formulated. One can enjoy the thrill of space journey by this ride to the Sun via Mars. Arrangement has been made for eight shows every day.
Wealth of Tripura Gallery:
A permanent gallery viz., Wealth of Tripura spreading over 3000 sq.ft areas has been constructed. Work for the cabinets and other engineering structure has been completed and models/films have also been prepared. The gallery is expected to be open for the public within September 2009.
Various types of educational programmes have been launched in the Sukanta Academy. Last year Sukanta Academy has also organized sky watching programmes in other Districts and also other Science Fair. Eminent Scientist Dr. Devi Prasad Duari has visited Sukanta Academy and also gave series of lectures for students and general peoples on the subject ‘Solar System’, ‘Creation of Earth’.
Promotion of Arts & Culture:
Fourth batch of cultural section has passed out in the financial year 2008-09. New students have been taken for songs and recitation course. This cultural section has now become popular wings of Sukanta Academy. Day by day numbers of students are increasing. At present 85 students are attending regular classes.
Other programmes of Sukanta Academy during the year 2008-09 includes celebration of Sukanta Janma Jayanti, observance of Hiroshima & Nagasaki Days, Sky Watching programme etc.
- Construction of main gate and security guard room.
- Renovation of plumbing system and installation of new water pump.
- Procurement of 3 portable planetariums.
- Setting up of District Science Centre at Udaipur.
- Setting up of 3D Shows.
- Setting up of Fun Science Gallery.
- Renovation of sitting arrangement of Auditorium.
- Renovation of Aquarium.
- Construction of Pet Corner.